Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Empire State in Fall Shroud

(but it turned out to only be a celebration of China)

The sun sets over Times Square, which is indifferent and refuses to accept dependence. It glitters right back, brighter yet and sparkling. Other skyscrapers face the last glowing rays and inhale deeply, go to rest in the night. Or maybe that's me.

In the same way that the view of Times Square didn't elicit any joy in me the other day, today it makes me smile again, giggle even. Tourists stare upwards and bump into me, I forgive them. Take a good look, take it in, I dare you to see if you can resist falling in love. I am bound to have ups and downs, to want to slam the door and run away from the city. But like with any persisting love, that doesn't mean giving up. A fight isn't the end of the world. I roll with the punches and end up on the side where every sunset over the City makes me smile. It sounds like the kind of relationship my therapist could only dream I would have.

If I'm in it for the long run, I don't need protection, I think to myself. Whatever comes of it will be okay. Everything else I can leave, against everyone else I can close up my heart, but not New York. I just have to remember that, when the dark clouds of despair roll in and cover the tops of the tall buildings. Soon enough, they will pass, and I can walk with my back straight again.

I walked out to the pier and saw the Statue of Liberty in the Distance. I don't know how I got to be so lucky.

1 comment: